Monday, July 2, 2007

Chicago Dogs Part II

Sorry I haven't written. It's been a hectic last couple of weeks. Since I last wrote I fell and broke my wrist and have had surgery. Yesterday was the first day I could type with my left hand at all. For those among you who are, well, gruesome, here's a picture of my reconstructed wrist. It is interesting to note just how similar my hand looks to a ham hock. I had never made connection before, but the splinted shape, iodine color, and stitches look that way to me. As I recall med students are first taught to do stitches on pigs' feet. I can see why now.

Anyway, I did manage to make Chicago dogs for my family before this happened and took some pictures. This first picture is of the "assembly line" for the ingredients to the Chicago Dogs. I have found this is the best presentation as it allows everyone to assemble his or her own dog. This works really well in a part situation where assembling is part of the fun. This would be a great tail-gating meal for the upcoming football season if that's what you like. Note the conspicuous absence of a place for the dreaded red sauce, Ketchup.

This next picture shows the completed dog. As you can see, one dog is a meal in itself and will satisfy most appetites. Teen adolescent males could probably eat two or three.

In case you didn't read the original story about the magnificence of Chicago Dogs, here's the story. Note: there is absolutely no substitute for the sports peppers. The story includes a link where you can buy them. I've never been able to find them outside of Chicago.

That's it for now. Hopefully I'll be able to follow up with another column soon. Keep a good thought.

Take care, and take two. They're small.
-tfedge

No comments: